Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Dessert Fiend's Dream

Before I write any new posts, I have to make a shout out to one of my ultimate favorite places in San Diego. Extraordinary Desserts. A place where a dessert lover goes and can never be satisfied anywhere else. There are actually two locations in San Diego--both are very different, but equally delicious. The quaint coffee house-like location is in Banker's Hill, while the large, industrial location finds it home in Little Italy.

I was first introduced to the Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy. When I walked through the giant door into what looks to be a decorated warehouse straight into a display case of decadent desserts, I knew my experience there was going to be a good one. Usually busy, you have to push through the crowd of eager people to make it to the hostess. Once you finally do make it there, expect a wait. But when “about 45 minutes to an hour” escapes the hostess’ mouth do not be disheartened, because what you are about to experience is definitely worth the wait. Spend this time carefully examining each piece of heavenly goodness in the display case so you can make the best decision.

Now before I go on, I need to admit my bias. Although the atmosphere and the beautifully decorated desserts caught my eye, I have to say it was the Warm Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding that stole my heart and created my addiction. I am sure Extraordinary Desserts has so many other amazing things to eat, but I will always be a loyal fan of the bread pudding. I do have to say, sometimes they like to mix it up and offer a Blackberry Croissant Bread Pudding or even a Lemon Meringue Croissant Bread Pudding, which are both delicious, but nothing can top my favorite. Warning: they do run out of the bread pudding early in the night—do not come here at 9:45pm expecting to try it. So in these instances (had to suffer a couple times before learning my lesson to come earlier) I have tried several other desserts. All delicious, all filling, all gorgeous. But they are no Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding. This location is perfect to celebrate your best friend’s birthday, have a girl night, or go out with a group of friends. Keep in mind that it is a little of the expensive side—expect around $10 a dessert.

The other location (Banker’s Hill) is much smaller but offers the same desserts and a more intimate setting. You have to wait in line to make it in the door to even see the display case of desserts. And on busy nights, there is even a bouncer (yes, a bouncer at a dessert place!) But I would say this spot would be perfect for a date.

Oh and I almost forgot… the white hot chocolate! Extraordinary Desserts is famous for their wide variety of tasty teas. They also have coffee and hot chocolate. Me, being a huge fan of white chocolate, (in case you haven’t noticed all ready,) had to try it. The creamy, rich white hot chocolate with a touch of lemon definitely hits the spot and makes it top of my list of scrumptious cups of cocoa.

Connect With Me