Sunday, August 30, 2009

Street Scene from My Eyes Part 1

So this weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Street Scene all thanks to the tickets provided by Slacker Radio (http://www.slacker.com/). They are a free, personal, and portable radio station customized for each user based on their favorite music allowing you to find new artists and listen to your favorites at the same time.

If you are a San Diego local and have yet to go to Street Scene, you need to experience it. Big bands and lesser known bands alike play for two days making it an amazing musical event. The streets of downtown are filled with avid fans and curious newbies, while the sounds of at least three bands fill your ears. There were 5 stages, each showcasing a new band frequently. There was never a dull moment because you are able to listen to what you want to, rather than in a typical concert you are stuck listening to whoever is on the stage for that time. In between the bands that you wanted to hear, you are able to explore the numerous vendors, beer gardens, and food stands. Eclectic jewelry, hippie clothes, shoes, sunglasses, and more line the streets in between the stages.

I was able to see about 10 bands each day, give or take. Some of them I knew, (like Black Eyed Peas), while others I heard for the first time.

Here is a list of bands I was able to see:
  • Shooter Jennings
  • Devendra Banhart
  • Band of Horses
  • Matt & Kim
  • Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band
  • Anya Marina
  • Cake
  • Nortec Collective
  • Modest Mouse
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • Public Enemy
  • Busta Rhyme
  • Of Montreal
  • The Faint
  • West Indian Girl
  • Silverspun Pickups
  • The Dead Weather
  • The Knux
I have to say, I was able to have a pretty complete experience at Street Scene. I learned about new bands and I got to see some of my favorites. Probably one of my favorite things to do when I was there though was people watch. What a variety of people at Street Scene! And as it got later... people got more drunk so the weirdness increased!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's review of the bands and pictures. See which ones were my favorite from each day!

Connect With Me