Saturday, August 22, 2009

OB Summerfest... More of a Picnic than "Fest"

So today I decided to venture into Ocean Beach for a "Summerfest" I had heard about. Being in love with street festivals, I was excited to see what OB had in store. On my exit off the 8 freeway, I looked over to my left and saw several canopies set up at the park. I thought to myself, "hmm, well I guess that is it. I'll check it out." Hoping for the best, I rolled into the parking lot and saw a row of maybe 15 canopies. Now I was apprehensive. Getting out of my car, I was immediately drawn to the 4 canopies set up with food. The first one was three kids yelling in attempts to sell snow cones, the second was Mexican food, then there were gyros, and lastly funnel cake. After a very sad and somewhat pathetic food display, I made my way to the "craft fair" part of the Summerfest. There I found a few more canopies filled with little trinkets and hand-made crafts for sale. Usually I am a sucker for things I don't need to buy but seem cool at the time, but this smorgasbord of little crafts and jewelry did not lure me to pull out my wallet.

The carnival part of the "fest" included very few rides and out of all things, 3 llamas, which surprisingly were probably the highlight of this event.


After I had explored the canopies and the llamas, entertainment had set up on the stage. I think it was country? I did actually not stay around long enough to hear it because overall I was really disappointed. Ocean Beach is one of my favorite beach towns but unfortunately I do not think they can put on a Summerfest just yet.

Connect With Me