Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Places to Calm Your Empty Morning Stomach

I always wake up hungry. And when I am hungry, I am cranky. Nothing can cure my crankiness better than a great breakfast place. So here for you, I have notable breakfast places to calm the crankiness (no particular order).


1. Kono's Cafe

Location: Pacific Beach (Show map of 704 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109)

What I Ordered: Big Breakfast #1 (consists of eggs, bacon, english muffins, potatoes, and pancakes) and a Hot White Chocolate from the coffee stand right by


Ok, this place is wonderful for so many reasons. Not only are their breakfasts delicious and cheap but also you get to eat while looking out at the ocean. Perfect combo in my opinion. There are several decks you can choose to sit, but for the best view, go right past the shop with the hammocks and you will find your breakfast oasis. The one downfall is Kono's is a local favorite, so do plan in standing in line when you get there, (but it is worth the wait)! And sometimes parking can be a problem in PB. The Big Breakfasts are huge-- it is a over-piled plate of food! You could easily spilt it (their is an extra charge for an extra plate but only 75 cents). The pancakes are fluffy and very tasty. I love hot white chocolate and I have to say Kono's Coffee Stand has one of the best! It is perfect to drink while standing in line :) Oh and just as a heads up... its cash only.


So all in all, the food, view, and atmosphere make for a perfect start to a San Diego day.


2. Hob Nob Hill

Location: Banker's Hill (Show map of 2271 1st Ave, San Diego, CA 92101)

What I Ordered: Cream of Wheat (with brown sugar, raisins, and pecans), Eggs Benedict, Pancakes, and Orange Juice (I shared this feast with my sister and we were full all day!)


A popular spot for Banker's Hill locals, but also made famous by Guy from the Food

Network. I actually visited this place not knowing any of this but rather just needed a place to eat quickly because I was starving! This restaurant has been around since 1944 and has the decor to prove it. The waitresses all wear typical old diner dresses and the restaurant is filled with dark wood and giant chandeliers. The first time I went was a little disappointing due to my extremely empty stomach and the extremely long wait. I got pancakes and orange juice and was pleased with both, but my frustration with the wait (I already mentioned I get cranky when hungry) exceeded most of my pleasant thoughts about this place. However, one thing I did notice was you could put in reservations.


So why did I go back? Well fate, really. My sister was in town visiting and we had plans to go to Cafe 222 (see below) but we were starving (seems to be a pattern...) and wanted something quicker so I decided to call and see if I could make reservations at Hob Nob Hill. Well it worked out just perfect. We got there, found a great parking spot, walked in and were seated in 5 minutes. Still being very hungry, we ordered the feast I listed above. I was extremely impressed this time around. The smorgasbord of food gave us quite the taster of the local long time favorite. Being initially scared about ordering the cream of wheat, I have to say it is the best cream of wheat I have ever had. The goodies they give you with it to add in--raisins, pecans, brown sugar, and milk--make for a little bowl of heaven to start off your day. Although this was very filling, I continued to eat the Eggs Benedict I ordered, which came with grilled tomatoes. Although I was a bit skeptical of grilled tomatoes for breakfast, I was pleasantly surprised by their tastiness. The Eggs Benedict was also delicious with a hint of refreshing lemon in their benedict sauce. Both dishes made me feel at home.


After giving them a second try, I can assure I will go back at Hob Nob Hill and stop in regularly for their delectable bowl of cream of wheat.


3. Waffle Spot

Location: Hotel Circle (Show map of 1333 Hotel Cir S, San Diego, CA 92108)

What I Ordered: Double Cup Waffle


Who would have ever thought the greatest waffles would be found in Hotel Circle at an outdated hotel? I for one was not a believer when I walked into this small diner-like restaurant. With cartoon breakfast characters adorning the walls, I still remained skeptical. However, the fluffy, large, tasty waffle quickly changed my mind. The waffle I ordered was made with chocolate chips and white chocolate chips--just the right amount. The chocolate did not overwhelm the delicious waffle batter that this Spot seemed to have perfected over the years. Not many locals seem to know about this hidden treasure because the tables are lined with out of place tourists. But if it is a waffle mood that you are in, than there is no better place than the Waffle Spot.


4. Cafe 222

Location: Downtown (Show map of 222 Island Ave, San Diego, CA 92101)

What I Ordered: Pumpkin Waffles


Now this place take waffle to a new and exciting level. If you are looking for something different, lets say like a pumpkin waffle or peanut butter banana stuffer french toast, Cafe 222 is where to go. This quaint little eclectic breakfast spot is filled with bright colors and unique artwork--down to chandeliers made of coffee cups and silverware and salt and pepper shakers marked with 2s. There is outdoor and indoor seating, but when inside you get a peak into the inner workings of Cafe 222 watching the staff hustle and bustle or prepare their delicious granola. I happened to go when the place was not busy at all and we had no wait. However, when I tried on a Sunday, there was about an hour wait, so be careful when you chose to go--I would say weekdays may be your best bet.

Excited to try something new, I ordered the Pumpkin Waffles while my boyfriend got the Peanut butter ones. I have to say I was more impressed by his dish. Although the Pumpkin Waffles were tasty, they were not exactly what I was hoping for... maybe it was the spice. The Peanut Butter Waffles (which are topped with bananas) were extremely delicious. A filling waffle but every bite explodes with the warm taste of peanut butter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So there you go. Some breakfast places to try when your stomach is acting up. Each uniquely San Diego but individually delicious.

Connect With Me